IT IS DIFFICULT FOR A PATIENT WHO HAS SUFFERED A MISCARRIAGE OR STILLBIRTH TO ENGAGE WITH THEIR OB OFFICE AFTER A LOSS
These small, but compassionate steps on your part can make a huge difference in your patient leaving feeling well cared for and respected, or them leaving even more traumatized then when they arrived for their already much dreaded appointment.
1. Cancel all future appointments and sonograms. There is nothing more painful than miscarrying, being at the office for follow up blood work, and then getting a call to confirm your sonogram appointment! Yes, it DOES happen - more often than you realize.
2. Have follow-up appointments in a room that does not feature baby or maternity art on the walls. Even though she is still considered a maternity patient please make the extra effort to put her in a GYN room for follow up appointments. She is sitting in that room usually at least 10-20 minutes and it is VERY painful to have to sit and have nothing else to look at but the huge reminder on the wall of what she just lost.
3. If at all possible have follow-up appointments at a separate time of day. It would be very considerate to reserve follow up appointments for miscarriages or 6 week follow ups after a still birth either first thing in the morning or right after lunch if at all possible so that she does have to sit in a waiting room full of healthy pregnant women.
4. Consider ordering our miscarriage resource. It's in a nondescript envelope that you can hand to your patients when they come in for a follow-up appointment. It includes a silver charm that is a heart with angel wings, that they can wear on a necklace or bracelet as a physical connection to the baby that was lost. It includes the poem "The Cord" on the back and it includes our website on the front, where they can visit if they need additional support.
If you would like any more information or the miscarriage resource/acknowledgement for your loss patients, please feel free to contact us. We provide them at our cost for $1.00 a piece plus shipping.
5. For your terminal pregnancy patients, consider keeping on hand a keepsake that records the baby's in-utero heartbeat. After she delivers and the baby has passed, this is a comforting keepsake of her baby's heartbeat. We use "My Baby's Heartbeat Bear" and they can be purchased directly at www.mybabysheartbeatbear.com.
MAILING ADDRESS 922 Hwy 81 East PMB 153 McDonough, GA 30252
OFFICE ADDRESS 76 Sloan Street McDonough, GA 30253 Tuesday - Friday, 8:30am - 3:30pm EST
NEED ASSISTANCE? please call the Help Line or email us 24 Hour Help Line: 470-278-1956 Elizabeth_RachelsGift@outlook.com
Rachel's Gift, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All proceeds go directly into the operation of this organization to support the services and resources provided for families in need.